Thursday, April 12, 2007

We're HOME!!




WE MADE IT!! We are very sick of travelling and very happy to be home at last! We woke up at 4:30am (China time) on Wednesday morning (which was 4:30pm on Tuesday afternoon in Michigan) to get ready and meet our guide and driver to head to the airport. Our first flight was from Guangzhou to Tokyo -- only 3 1/2 hours. Our departure was delayed a short time due to fog in Guangzhou, but we were only held up about 30 minutes. Maelin did well on the flight. She looked at books, played with the flight safety cards (haha!), and did a sticker book. We had a 2-hour layover in Tokyo, where Maelin ran off her extra energy with trips up and down (and up and down and up and down...) the escalators. As soon as we boarded the next flight (3pm China time, 3am Michigan time), Maelin was asleep. She took a 1 1/2 hour 'nap' and woke up when the flight attendants started serving food - ha! All things considered, Maelin did very well on the 12-hour flight. We played with toys, ate some snacks, walked up and down (and up and down...) the aisles, and when a flight attendant gave her a deck of cards, Maelin and Mama played 52-card pick-up (well, it was actually about 45-card pick-up ... there were a few still left on the tray table!). She cried a couple of times, very briefly, but truthfully, Jim and i felt like crying after being on that plane for so long!

We arrived in Detroit around 3pm (Michigan time); customs and immigration went smoothly, and once we got our suitcases, we were on our way home! Maelin did NOT like the car seat (i'm pretty sure she'd never been in one before), but she cried for a bit and then fell asleep on the ride home.

We arrived home around 6pm to a lovely welcome from the Framptons, Gleesons, and Greschaws! Maelin got to meet Grandpa Les and Grandma Pam, Nana and Popa Gleeson, Aunt Shelli and Uncle Darrin, Uncle Jon and Aunt Laura, Uncle Lance, and cousins Lauren, Drew, Adrienne, Jacob and Lucas! She was a bit groggy at first, but she warmed up pretty quickly. By the end of the evening, she was let a few people hold her, and she was giving out hugs upon request :) In the pictures above, she's with Grandpa Les (my dad) and Aunt Shelli (my sister).

Baba, Maelin and i stayed awake until 9pm, and then headed for bed. Aaaaand at 3:30am, we were all up for the morning! The picture above is Maelin's first Cheerios breakfast - at 4:15am!! I'm sure it will take a couple of weeks to adjust fully to the time change.

If anyone is still out there and interested, i'll probably keep blogging about Maelin's adventures, at least until i have to go back to work in a few weeks.

Love to all,
Shonda, Jim, and Maelin

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you said the last post was the last last one, but I decided to check this morning, just out of habit. What a nice surprise to see an update. Sounds like the flights went as well as could be expected. I'm glad for that. Welcome home. Must have been nice to sleep in your own bed... for a few... short.. hours.
Welcome home.
Kara

Anonymous said...

Welcome home

Anonymous said...

Welcome home

I would love to see more updates She is such a cutie

happy to hear the trip went well I'll show the pics to Jason when he wakes up
wllwn and Jason

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!!!!! Glad you had safe flights! I am glad you are keeping this blog, it is fun to be able to know what is going on since we are 2 states away. Can't wait to meet Maelin (and see you guys too!), Dan and I should be making a trip home soon - either end of April or early May.
See you soon and have a wonderful time with your new family!
Huggs, Kendra & Dan.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!! Shonda, let me know if you're still having problems with your work E-mail.

-Steve

Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME JIM SHONDA AND MAELIN,

IT FELT LIKE I WAS THERE THE WHOLE TIME JUST READING YOUR BLOGS AND WHAT ADVENTURE IT WAS..

AGAIN WELCOME HOME..

ET

Anonymous said...

Welcome home the Gleesons!
I am glad that you guys came home safe. It was a great adventure to adopt an adorable and mischief daughter. Keep on giving us more pics and her adventure for short weeks until she is fully settled and ready to go to school. I can't wait to meet her.

Love,
Gina

Anonymous said...

Well, I am sorry to say that I missed your last few days of blog. It almost killed me...I felt sooooo out of the loop...and very jealous knowing that everyone else knew what was going on when I was in the dark! However, we got new paint and carpet in the family and living rooms, and that required disconnecting my computer for a couple days. I just spent the last hour getting it moved back in, organized, and hooked up. And you are home! I'm bummed that I missed it...but very glad you are all home. Hope to see you soon!
~Shelly

Anonymous said...

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAHHHHH! We are all so happy that you are safely home and on american soil! please please keep us updated on Maelin and how she is doing. How you are all doing..... David is now saying he is going to marry her as well as Erin when he grows up ... told him he is to old for her and you can only marry one person at a time in this country. lol! Tara and David

Anonymous said...

So I'm glad to hear you are home, healthy and happy blah blah blah...but what I REALLY want to know is if Maelin can teach me how to use chopsticks...I've tried a million times and I was thinking I just needed new perspective..perhaps a 3 year old.


Anyway, I really am happy you are home, safe and happy and remember I'm just down the road.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hurray you are all home. Please please keep up the blog it is just the best. I see Grandpa got to hold his new granddaughter and I know Grandma was right there also.
Congratulations to the new family.
Love to all,
Aunt Chris

Anonymous said...

We are still here and lovin' the news!!!Welcome home. Pam

Anonymous said...

It has been great to have a window into your experience. Congratulations on your New Family. Glad to hear that everything went well. Welcome Back. Gary P.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Well, I wish I would of known that I could post messages. That really bites. WELCOME HOME. I miss you sooo much. I can’t wait to see Maelin (btw I approve J) If my cold goes away then maybe I can stop by next week after school and bring Leslie? I hope everything is going well and not too overwhelming. Love ya, Brandi