Monday, April 16, 2007

Toppin' the Charts



We headed down to Bingham Farms for Maelin's first pediatric appointment this afternoon. The first thing they did was measure her height and weight. She was 37 inches tall and weighed 35 lbs. When the doctor came in and saw measurements on the chart, she told us that Maelin is in the 50th percentile for height and above the 75th percentile for weight ... on the American growth charts!! The doctor said, "I have never seen a child adopted from China who measured this high on the American growth charts!" And this is a doctor who specializes in internationally adopted children - ha!! We're thinking of changing her middle name to BuddaBelly. HA!

Hmmmm...what else is new? Jim introduced her to both barbeque sauce and ketchup in the last couple of days. She looooves barbeque sauce (probably just because Baba eats it) and dips everything on her plate in it. She also loves helping Mama with the laundry. She especially likes to throw the wet clothes from the washer into the dryer. Hey, i'm all for a little help! Now, if i could only get her to do the cooking...!

As you can see from the pics above, Jim took Maelin fishing in our pond last night. Thankfully, the fish are very hungry, and it doesn't require much patience to snag one! [And for all those wondering the fate of the fish, we set it free :)]

We're looking forward to seeing Leslie some time this week. Not sure when, because we don't want her to catch our colds. Plus, we're going to have to work out a schedule so that Jim can drive her to school the next morning when she stays over. It will take some maneuvering, but we'll figure it out. I can't wait for Maelin to meet her!

Maelin is able to say a few English words (hi, bye-bye, ow, uh-oh), but she's signing many more - milk, water, more, bed, sleep, ball, eat, wash-hands, bath, medicine, golf-cart, Mama, Baba, airplane, flower, bike, clothes, drink, mine, etc. It's so exciting to see her signing emerge. Whether she has a hearing loss or not, we're using it now to 'bridge' the communication gap, and she'll need it to communicate with 'big sister' Leslie, as well!

I really want to say thank you to everyone who has been so supportive since we've been home and not doing so well. It is said that you know who your true friends are when times are tough. We've had a rough last few days, and i really appreciate the comments, phone calls and positive thought. They mean the world to us.

Love to all,
Shonda, Jim and MaeMae

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, the pics are adorable, that fish however looks familiar ;) We still get told that story from time to time. Hey, I'll come and do the cooking if she'll come and do the laundry! Leslie is probably dying to get out there, hope she is able to real soon. I haven't seen her at the school lately, usually when I see her after school she's down by your classroom waiting for you. Isn't it incredible how those little ones pick those signs up! Hey, does Jim know how to use the camera? We want pics of Mama and Maelin too! OR does Jim take pics and you just don't put them on the blog????
In our thoughts with love,
Connie

Anonymous said...

So, I have had a lot of catching up to do and finally read all the blogs. I kept wondering why no one at work was emailing to update, but then Nikki reminded me you were doing this. Now that I am up to speed...I am so excited for you and Jim. She is a honey! I enjoyed reading the journey and am excited to meet her. I showed my class a her picture today and they think she is really cute too and can't wait to meet her! Congratulations again, she is so lucky to have you!
Keisha
PS My aunt and uncle got their referral and pics for their son from Guatemala!

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm glad to see that you are still doing the blog. I have not been on to check as am busy with kids at home and testing here at school. Sounds like she's doing GREAT! Glad she is sleeping more! If I remember right, didn't you need a lot of sleep?!?!?!?! Anyway hope all continues to go well with your family! Love, Kim

Anonymous said...

OMG, Maelin's only 1 inch shorter and two pounds lighter than Adam is! I knew they were meant for each other. Adam wants to know if she'll teach him how to fish.
Hope to see you all soon.
Maureen

Anonymous said...

I have nothing novel to write today, but I didn't want you to think that I hadn't "tuned in" for today's episode...so, I'm still here! I'll "tune in" again tomorrow...and perhap write "nothing" again. :-)
~Shelly