Monday, April 2, 2007

MAELIN YUFENG GLEESON!

Words cannot express the absolute joy in our hearts... we have the most beautiful, happy, amazing daughter!!! There were a couple of tears at the very beginning, but she came to both Jim and i after a few short minutes. She is so full of smiles (TWO DIMPLES!!), so curious, and just the sweetest thing we could ever imagine! She does a hilarious "happy dance" when she's excited! (She also does the 'pee-pee dance,' fortunately for us!) We know that there may be tears tonight, but for now things are very good.

I think the height and weight estimates that we got were correct -- she is BIG!! The couple we're traveling with adopted a little girl three months older than Maelin, and she is much smaller. We love carrying her around, but she's so heavy!! The hotel loaned us a stroller for the time we're in Chongqing, so that's going to be helpful!

The woman from the orphanage who brought her to the Civil Affairs office says she does have a hearing loss, and that we need to talk loudly in order for her to hear us. We're not sure, because although 'talkative' certainly does describe her, we can't understand anything she says. The woman from the orphanage said that her speech and language are 'slow' compared to other children her age.

She has a cough and a runny nose, so we stopped at a pharmacy after getting back to the hotel. Our guide showed us which medicine to give her, and when we got back to the hotel, she took it with no problem. We'll have to keep an eye on it.

Baba (daddy) is playing with her in the room right now. She's having a blast going through all of the clothes, toys and books we brought for her. She's currently wearing two pair of her new underwear...on her head! Baba showed her how to put them on her bottom, and she insisted on putting on two more pair at the same time!

*Sigh* ... So far, things are good, and we're all happy. More news to come :)

Jim, Shonda & Maelin

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baba and Mama, I have been up all night, couldn't sleep, had you on my mind trying to imagine the excitement you are feeling. I know anything I could imagine couldn't compare with your feelings. How incredibly beautiful Maelin is! Her name fits her prefectly, it's beautiful too. We are absolutely thrilled for you all. Haley just got up for school and I showed her Maelin's picture and she signed cute, cute with a huge smile on her face. She is really excited too.

Praying God gives you a safe trip home. Can't wait to see you again and finally meet Maelin.

Much love,
Connie, Bill and Haley

Anonymous said...

I am soooo excited for you. I'm glad it went so well.
She is totally adorable.
(So what size is she?? I see a shopping trip in my future.)
Love,
Kara

Anonymous said...

Congrats, You have to be very excited. The emotional pressures have to be very deamnding. It sounds like you are having a good time and seeing many new things. The picture is great. Well the sun's comming up here in Mi so I have to go to work. O'h by the way, did Jim get a cold?
Have a safe and happy trip and enjoy your new daughter.

"Congrats"

Eric H.

Anonymous said...

hey everybody ,gonna show you
something cool we call it the
otter dancing school,i'm kinda nervous, don't know if i can do it,
don't worry tutter theres really
nothing to it ,just hold your
head up so you feel real tall and
bounce that head like a little
rubber ball!!!!!!!! Uncle shonda ,
why not fromfrom?

love,
uncle lauren!xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Grandma Pam here. Oh my gosh, our little Maelin is beautiful. Can't wait to snuggle and kiss her! I have tears and a smile at the same time just like in the hospital when we have a new baby! I love her already too [funny how that works..] and anxious for you all to get back home safely. This whole thing is even more emotional back home than I ever expected. Love and kisses to the new family, Mom

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jim and Shonda! I'm so excited for you and Maelin. Can't wait to meet her!

~ManDa

Anonymous said...

Wow! She is beautiful!!
I am so glad that the first meeting went so well. I guess "Murphy" stayed away...good, who needs him. ;-)

How did the first night go? And your first day together...what was on the agenda? Can't wait to see more pictures (hint, hint)

Love the name! (Sorry Lauren, but Maelin beats Fromfrom in my book!)

~Shelly

O'Neill said...

Congratulations to all three of you. I am delighted to hear that all is going so well. Pema was looking at your pictures with me and as I was reading your entry she said, "That's where I was when I was a baby and you came to get me."

Can't wait to meet Maelin.

Mike O'Neill & the Crowd

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful! I am excited to meet her and so happy for you all! Shonda I had to laugh at all the walking you are doing without me there:)Take care and get back here safely!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

Hi from mom ... second time in one day on the computer is a miracle but Maelin is worth it! The new pictures are wonderful and hope all is still ok. Aunt Jeanie called me tonite to congratulate us on our new grandaughter and how beautiful she is. Send more pictures! E-mail Lisa Sillers so she can watch your blog. They will find it helpful for their adoption. We are all in awe of this whole thing....Maelin is so lucky to have you and Jim!!!!!!!!! Talk later. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Maelin is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like the Gleeson side of the clan is increasing by leaps and bounds, and happily so. Jay and I are very excited for you all, and await your arrival back home!
Love, Tammy

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTY. She looks like such a happy girl. I am so happy for you and Jim. I can't image how excited you two must be - I'm so happy for you both. I am glad that everything is going so well.
Take care,
Theresa

Anonymous said...

Jim and Shonda your new daughter is beautiful. Her happy face is such a joy to see. She is so lucky to have you both with so much love to give.
Love the pictures and
Love you guys
Aunt Chris

Anonymous said...

JIM AND SHONDA YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFULL DAUGHTER AND SHE IS LUCKY TO HAVE YOU AS BABA AND MAMA. GOD WILL GIVE YOU A SAFE TRIP. LOVE UNCLE RONNIE AND AUNT CAROL APRIL 10

Anonymous said...

Gleeson Family!

Congrats! She is perfect! I can't imagine your excitment and all of your family at home waiting for the 3 of you!!! She is a DOLL!! Stacey has kept me up to speed on your journey and I have loved every minute! I read the whole blog, looked at all the pics and made my family do the same tonight! : ) ENJOY every minute!
Congrats!!
Chrisy Schemenauer