Sunday, April 15, 2007

better days



Fortunately, each day gets a bit better. (I'm still crying at the drop of a hat, though, so if you call to chat, prepare for tears!) We're getting closer to a normal sleep schedule. Not 'there' yet, but it's getting better. Friday night, we went to bed around 10pm, and at 1:30am, Maelin was ready to party. Jim said, "I can't do this..." so i tried something different. I brought her downstairs, but instead of turning on all the lights, making breakfast and playing with her, we kept all the lights off, made some warm milk, and rocked in her bedroom. I kept pointing out the window and saying it was dark and not time to wake up yet. She wasn't happy, but every time she tried to squirm off my lap, we moved to the bed next to the rocker. She soon decided that the rocker was better than laying in bed, so we rocked until she fell asleep. I think she finally fell asleep around 3am, and we slept in her bed until 7am. YEAH!!

Since Jim and i were feeling somewhat better, we decided to make the trip to meet the great-grandparents. First we drove to Grandma Schmidt's house and visited with her for about 30 minutes. Then we drove to my parents house, because Gramps and Gram Minkstein were there. We visited with them for a short time, and then headed home. Just a short trip like that wore us all out completely!

This morning, we need to make a short trip to Meijer (for a non-skid bathmat, a ride-in car, and a couple of other things), and then we're expecting a visit from Uncle Jay and Aunt Tammy (Jim's sister and her husband) before noon. Other than that, we're laying low :)

Love to all,
Shonda, Jim and Maelin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad things are starting to normalize. It's hard to comprehend how important sleep is...until you don't get enough! Although my kids are big, so they don't deprive me of sleep anymore, I still try to fit in a nap occasionally. :-) My next nap I will take in honor of you three...it's the thought that counts, right?
;-)
~Shelly

Anonymous said...

Way to go mom, warm milk and snuggling in a rocker is good stuff! Tell Jim I'll trade him...since 3 o'clock yesterday besides Haley of course who can be a big help when she wants to be. I've had Karrisa 3, whos the hellian, Austin 2 who is a go with the flow little guy and Syndie 9 mos. who likes a little more attention. Last night went okay but when Papa escaped out the door at 7 am to go drive the church bus Karrisa woke up and that lit the candle under the other three! I should have gotten them all ready and went to chuch too but I didn't have the energy. Shelly can take an extra long nap if she includes me!! Glad to hear you and Jim are feeling better. How was your trip to Meijers, did Maelin find lots of things she wants? Thanks for keep the blog up for a while, I'm still anxious to get to it everyday!!
In my thoughts as always,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Shonda glad to her things are getting better Jason's parents have gone home so it's just Jason and I oh how I missed those times in just 1 1/2 weeks he was glad to go back to school today Theresa is show the blog to the children also so Jason get it twice he really seems to enjoy the pics I'm glad to hear things are going better and looking forward to seeing you at school Have a great day
Ellen and Jason