Tuesday, April 10, 2007

crisis averted at the consulate

Okay, i know i said the last post was my last, but i just had to post an update after the consulate appointment this afternoon. We arrived there (by van) around 3:45pm for our 4pm consulate appointment. There were about 40 other families there waiting, as well. When 4pm came and went, we started to wonder what was going on. Finally at about 4:20, a man (American) with a microphone said that he had "some good news and some bad news." Hmmmmm. He said that each child's visa has to be processed throught the computer system in Washington, DC, and the connection between Guangzhou and DC was down. He said they were able to process about half of the visas before the system went down...so about 50% of us would be completing the process and going on our merry way, and the other half would be coming back to the consulate again the next day to try it again. I was on the verge of tears, thinking, "I want to go home!!!" but i held it together. About 10 minutes later, Crystal brought Maelin's visa to us -- we won the visa lottery!! I screamed, i was so happy! So our flight plans remain the same; we board our first plane at 8:20am (China time) and arrive in Detroit at 2:50pm on Wednesday afternoon. YEAH!!

Maelin was too cooped up today -- she sat in the stroller while we shopped, sat in the van to and from the consulate, sat in a high chair at dinner time ... so we had to run laps around the hotel (literally) to burn some of the steam off! She had to just had her bath, and now she's avoiding getting her jammies on. I'm sure she won't be quite as energetic when we wake her up at 5:15 tomorrow morning!

Again, we love you all, and can't wait to introduce you to our little China doll :)

Mama, Baba, and Maelin

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! you had even me anxious to hear the consulate story, (about as happy as grandpa can get), nice job folks, the last hoop to jump. we will see you Wed. p.m. with bells an' whistles and I hope we don't scare our China Doll too much. 50% is pretty good odds after all, huh? EVERYONE is so anxious to see you 3 we're all wearing "depends" round the clock, well everyone but Drew, he's got his own brand. this is my last blog (maybe forever) so hurry home. love you 3, Dad

Anonymous said...

I've thoroughly enjoyed following your awesome journey. I'll miss reading your daily blog. Congratulations to you guys and hope everything goes well tomorrow and once you are back in Michigan. Love Kim

Anonymous said...

It has been wonderful to be on your "journey" with you... but the REAL journey begins when you get home and into a routine. Grandmas and grandpas are out to undo all the rules, ya know! Thanks for the past 10 days experience in China and for our wonderful grandaughter. See you tomorrow evening! With love and kisses, Mom

Anonymous said...

Gregson forwarded your blog to me and I have spent the better part of the morning getting caught up! Don't tell my boss :) Your blog has been so much fun to read and your daughter is just about the cutest girl I have ever seen! Many many congratulations and much love from Arizona! Samantha and Gregson

Anonymous said...

Shonda,
I am so happy to hear that you are all coming home to Michigan. Now I just wanted to share a quick story with you. You see 29 years ago today i was adopted by my mom and dad. We celebrate every year like its another birthday. So If it has seemed at all odd or different that we have followed things so closely its because tho i am american we (my parents and i) have been in your shoes. I was 4 upon my adoption, and being a little more than half Indian i am "different" then my family. I pray for you all every day and am so excited for you! We love ya! Tara and David

Anonymous said...

I have LOVED the jouney and can't say thank you enough for sharing it with us all. I still can't get over that you guys are mama and baba, it is so AWESOME! I know you will have a safe journey home. Can't wait to see you guys and meet the newest member of our family! We love you guys lots: Joe,Amy, Max and Alex

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting your journey for us to see. I have no idea what I'll do now that it's over. I'll have to find some other addiction! I'm seriously tempted to quit my job and hang out at the airport tomorrow. Maybe you can do a "Maelin Pic O' the Week" email. Adam, Brian and I can't wait to meet your little sweetie. See you soon!
Love, Maureen

Anonymous said...

Shonda Jim and Maelin Jason and I have enjoyed following your story we show the pics to everyone who comes in, so the entire Family had had a vacation with you as well We will enjoy seeing you and NaeNae around the school and like many other will enjoy any future posts

Your families are very special for getting such a beautiful grandchild and having two such wonderful children to give this special little girl a chance at a good life again We love you and have a special place in our heats for your families

Love Ya Jason and Ellen

Anonymous said...

It was so exciting catching up on the wonderful progressions you have made on your journey!!! We are so looking forward to meeting her and hearing all the colorful experiences that you have had. All our love. Kristy