Saturday, May 26, 2007

Surviving the First Week Back



It's been an interesting week! Bright and early Monday morning, i got ready for work and left Maelin and Baba to fend for themselves (Baba wakes her up at 8am, gets her ready for the day, and drops her off at Aunt Laura's house around 9:15am). On my way to work, i heard a sappy country song and started crying ... thankfully, Leslie was sitting next to me, so i had to choke back the tears and kept driving. When i arrived at school, i cried in front of the first person to ask me how i was doing! But the rest of the day was busy and happy, and before i knew it, it was 3:30 and i was jumping in my car and heading off to pick up Miss Maelin! Truly, it is nice to be back at work. I love my job, and i'm happy to be back :) It's hard to know that Maelin is not with Jim and/or i all day, but she's doing just fine at Aunt Laura's house with Jacob and Lucas. She really enjoys having playmates every day. I can hardly blame her -- i'm not nearly as fun as Jacob ;)

Maelin and i have enjoyed spending the long weekend together. It was raining on Friday morning, so we got ready and went to the post office and the grocery store. Baba called us while we were still in Lapeer, so we swung by his work and picked him up for a family lunch :) On Saturday, Stacey (my good friend and MSD co-worker) and her 8-month-old daughter, Josie, came to visit us for a few hours. We had such a nice time visiting with them and playing with the baby!

Funny story: earlier this week, Maelin pointed to bird poop on her swing, and i told her what it was. We cleaned it off and went on with our lives. The next day, she found some on the ladder to her slide, and we identified it as 'bird poop' again. Then a couple of days ago, i was trying to wipe the gunk out of the corners of her eyes, and she called it bird poop!! I had to laugh at that one!

In the top picture, Maelin is wearing a cape and hat that was hand-made by Ellen, who is the great-grandmother of one of my students, Jason. Even though Jason moved to kindergarten this year, Ellen still stops to visit me in my classroom :) If you can see in the picture, Maelin's baby doll is wearing a matching hand-made cape and hat ... thank you so much, Ellen!!

That's all for now. Hope you're all enjoying the long weekend :)
Shonda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shonda you are very welcome You will always be very much a part of mine and Jason's life you were there when I really needed you. I realize he is growing up but we will always remember You are the one to give him a start at language as he had none before so A GREAT BIG THANKS TO YOU

Love Jason and Ellen

Anonymous said...

Shonda,
WOW! Can we get a box of tissues please? I just read your last few updates and i was in tears. You and Jim have done such a wonderful thing in taking this beautiful child and loving her like you do. What an amazing couple you are. And then i just read Ellens post... I think all of us parents would agree with that one. My small fry couldnt talk a lick when he started M.S.D. and you put him on the road to life. Again kudos to you both and a big squeeze to that baby doll. Cant wait for playdates to meet her! Hugs, Tara and David

Anonymous said...

Those sappy songs will do it every time! Wish I could have been there to reasure you everything was going to be okay, but I imagine you got that from whom ever, I thought of you especially on Monday! Didn't it make it all worth it when you saw that precious little face when you got to Laura's? I'm sure she stayed busy enough not to get lonely too much. We all know how much you love your job, it shows in our kids, they all love you and we all do too, you are very special to many of us. Some of us are lifers!!
That's nice you can go and spend time with Baba at lunch time. I know he loves those kind of lunches. My dad worked at GM second shift and I can remember taking him dinner sometimes and how special that was, we made many memories like that, they are really special to me now that he is gone. Simple things but the most precious ones really.
That was a funny story, how cute! Are you documenting the funny things she says and does? A book of those will be special when she graduates later on. Graduation, NOT something you care to think about now but it will come someday. And she will enjoy reading about things that she did and said "back in the day".
Okay, I'm done for now, I will talk to you later. Give her a hug for us!
love ya,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Hi Shonda, just wanted you to know that I do continue reading ur wonderful blogs, soo positive and so natural, It is just all becuz of your generous heart and happy person and everything will fall together in a healthy way. We need more positive people like u at MSD :)
Adorable pic of Mia and lamb outfit!
Happy memorial day....gotta run and back to work on garden...
:) Kim V

Anonymous said...

Hey Shonda. I know exactly how you felt that day going back. I felt the exact same way. But it does get better! Just think - only a few more weeks and you're back home for the summer! Good luck - I'm thinking about you and I can't wait to meet your little girl!

Debbie Densham

Anonymous said...

No one else is shocked that Shonda was able to leave work at 3:30??
Smile!!
So glad things are going well. Hope to see you soon.
Kara