Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Weekly Update





It's Sunday morning, and Baba is having breakfast with Maelin, so i thought i'd jump on here and post a few of the more recent pictures of our cutie-pie :) We have been together almost seven weeks as a family. Each week gets better and better as we get to know each other more. She has become a bit of a Mama's girl at night time -- won't let Baba lay down with her at bed time any more! I think it hurts Baba's feelings a little, but it seems logical that she would want Mama when it's 'comfort' time. Baba's expertise lies in the areas of 'fun' and 'outside' :)

Last Monday we finished up Maelin's hearing testing at the audiologist in Flint. When we were done, we ordered hearing aids (our insurance covers most of the cost!!) and made impressions for earmolds. We're hoping to slowly get her used to the hearing aids during the summer months so that, when she starts school in fall, she'll be wearing them full time.

We've also had several 'assessment' appointments with our local school district, in preparation for her IEP. So far, we've met with the teacher consultant for the hearing impaired (sorry, their title, not mine!), the audiologist, a speech/language pathologist, and an early childhood teacher. We have two more left -- another early childhood teacher and one more appointment with the speech/language pathologist. I am hoooooooping that we'll get the IEP scheduled before this school year ends, so that we can get all of the arrangements made before school starts in the fall. Cross your fingers for us!

I am going back to work on Monday (tomorrow) with very mixed emotions. I miss my students and i love my job, so there is some excitement in getting back to work and into that routine. But i have a sick feeling in my stomach at leaving Maelin every day for four weeks. The upside: she'll be staying with my sister-in-law Laura, and if i have to leave her to anyone, i'm glad it's her. Jim is planning to stay home each morning so Maelin doesn't have to get up quite to early. He'll get breakfast for her, get her all ready, and then drop her off at Laura's around 9am or 10am. I'll take off right after work each day and be there by 4pm. And after June 15th, we'll have the whole summer together :)

Leslie is at Desales (in Brooklyn, MI) for an Art Workshop weekend with other deaf and hard of hearing kids. Thankfully, she rode down with one of the houseparents (it's two hours each way!), and she'll ride part-way back with the same woman. We'll pick her up at Great Lakes Crossing this afternoon. Maelin will be happy to see her :)

Take care-
xoxoxo,
Shonda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shonda Those are really cute pictures I showed Jason and asked him who it was he signed Shonda and baby we need a name sign for her I don't remember if you posted one or not. Thanks for the pic in the cape it fits perfect from what I can tell

Love Jason and Ellen

Anonymous said...

What sweet pictures, especially the first one of Mama and Miss Mae, loved the one with the Mr. Potato Head glasses, too cute! Baba has to learn that there's just nothing like Mama when it comes "comfort" time. Your right Baba's expertise is in the 'fun' and 'outdoor' areas. Haley would rather Bill go to the park, etc. with her than me, probably cause he lets her do more and will sit down there for hours with her. I tend to hurry her along sometimes cause I've always got other things that need to be done like getting dinner, etc.

How did Maelin do when they did the molds? Remember Haley? She used to fight it so much but thanks to you and Diane working with her she doesn't mind at all now. I hope she gets used to wearing her aids, Haley is fine until she realizes she didn't take them out when school was done for the day, I can't get her to wear them at home. I put them in and pretty soon I find them somewhere on the floor or a table.

Here's hoping that the IEP does get done within the next four weeks. Maelin is going to be fine while you are at work, at least she doesn't have to go into day care somewhere, that would give me a sick feeling, I feel bad for the mom's that have to do that,I don't know how they do it. I just couldn't.

I told Haley you were going to be at work tomorrow and she gave a thumbs up so I'm sure she will be thrilled to see you at school.

I will probably see you this week at school. Hope you have a real good week.
Love ya, Hugs
~Connie